09 January 2015

Friday jukebox: BLOOD OF THE LAMB

For some reason, I'm a real sucker for Protestant hymns. Raised Catholic, I don't ever hear them, really, unless I'm at a funeral. And I tend to get just two types of funerals. Either it's a full Catholic Mass with an organ and Communion and "On Eagle's Wings"; or it's funeral home-y and secular-ish with piped-in music. The last time I heard a pastor urging us to pray for the Lord to abide with us in our sorrow was quite a few funerals ago. But what's a serious funeral without a pastor asking you where you'll spend eternity? Here, let's meet beyond the river and get us some churchin' this fine day:



The poetry is naive, the lyrics are grisly, and the tunes are catchy. I'm torn between "What else could you want?" and "How much more American can you get?"

No comments: