15 May 2012

Twelve versus seventy

Today in job search news, my anecdotal, unscientifically tested impression lately is that open job positions either pay $12.00 per hour, or require 70 hours per week and a resumé with about 15 fewer years on it than mine has. There is no in between, there is no happy medium, there is no reasonable option for a mid-career professional.

I don't want to go so far as to say that I never should have gone to law school; but right now that diploma looks less like a career-boosting, life-changing credential, and more like $150,000 worth of mental masturbation. And not that I'm totally against mental masturbation -- my long-term, post-childrearing plans include pursuing a Ph.D. -- but right now I'd prefer to be getting some regular cash.

Speaking of which, couple of paying tasks today, so I'm off to get to work.

No comments: