18 January 2009

unexpected extra work required for bar exam application

Recently I was working on my bar exam application. Because I answered certain of the questions a certain way, I've been alerted that I have a few more tasks to add to my to-do list before the paperwork deadline. Specifically, I have to fetch my official criminal history records and my driving records from 3 separate states.

Since I was 16 and got my first driver's license, I've had exactly 2 tickets, neither of them a moving violation. (For those keeping score at home, I was 16 roughly 20 years ago.) In my entire lifetime, I've been arrested only once, for trespassing.

There are a lot of reasons not to start law school as a second career, after already having a life. This is definitely one of them.

As for the Board of Bar Examiners, I'm not sure that they should even trust the information that I'll dig up. Now, I'm a truthful person and I'll be requesting this information in good faith, as completely as I can. But I haven't lived in one of the states I have to contact since mid-1994. I certainly don't have the number from that driver's license. What a risk of false negatives! The Board should have a staff doing the research for them rather than rely on this self-reporting. (Christ knows the fees you have to pay for the privilege of sitting for the bar exam are high enough.)

Maybe they flag applications that look a little fishy and double-check only the spurious ones, then if they find something the applicant didn't disclose, then the problem is the applicant's. In other words, I guess I'd better hope that I give these states better search terms than the Board staffers would.

And in other words -- damn, I got my first driver's license 20 years ago?

No comments: