12 October 2010

Driberally tonight

Drinking Liberally is a weekly social gathering where progressives talk politics and get to know one another. In Center City Philadelphia, we meet on Tuesday nights at José Pistola's upstairs bar, where there are drink specials from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. And the more we tip the bartender, the more frequently he hands out free dishes of chips and dips. I hope to see you there!

José Pistola's is at 263 South 15th Street (15th and Spruce) in Center City, near the Kimmel Center and the Academy of Music. There's a parking garage across the street, but as filthy liberal hippies naturally we suggest public transit; both SEPTA and PATCO will get you there in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

This week's topic: There's a Philadelphia film festival happening, with an unnavigable website, a ticket purchasing system that burdens the user with printing out their own tickets, and an uninspiring roster of films chosen by an all-male, all-white crew of programmers. The film festival here used to be a full-contact sport for me, and it just breaks my heart that the offerings are so limited this year. Sometimes I feel as though I'm just counting the days until I can move back to a city with reasonable weather and a real film festival.

"Come for the beer, stay for the check"

1 comment:

upyernoz said...

on the bright side, this does make me feel better about having to miss most, if not all, of the fest this year.

(jeez, not even a "cinema of the muslim world" to keep me occupied)