25 March 2010

On flash mobs and avoiding them

Between teenage boredom, youth un- and under-employment, and parental ineffectiveness, it looks as though it's going to be the summer of the flash mobs. If the city can't make the flash mobs go away, I think I'm going to have to move to a neighborhood that's less transit-accessible.

South Street's a noisy place. I knew that when I moved here five years ago, and most of the time I go with the flow. Our bedrooms are in the back, away from the traffic. I like being so close to the historic district on one side and a full-service neighborhood on the other. But I don't like feeling trapped in my home on a Friday or Saturday night because I live near an attractive destination: that is, one that's easy to identify in a text message ("5th and South" or "the Gallery") and easy get to on foot or by public transit ("40th Street" or "Broad and South").

I think this summer will decide whether I stay here or move a little ways away, to some section of the city that seems too inconvenient for the flash mobs but tolerable for someone who doesn't want to own car.

In the meantime, if you hear about a flash mob you can anonymously report it to the police at (215)686-TIPS.

No comments: