11 March 2010

How Philadelphia informed Barfly

Following the bouncing links today, I caught these lines from Charles Bukowski, speaking to Roger Ebert about Barfly:
"I knew the morning bartender. He would let me in at 5 a.m. I'd get two hours of free drinks before the bar opened at 7. I'd stay in the bar until it closed. I got three hours of sleep, from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m."

"Where was this bar located?" I asked him.

"It was located in two places, because this story is based on two different bars. One of them was in Philadelphia, at 16th and Fairmont [sic]. It no longer exists. The other one was here in L.A., at 6th and Alvarado."
Bukowski didn't spend much time in Philadelphia, but I keep saying that there's a very good reason why the two alcoholics I dated lived in that neighborhood.

No comments: