24 March 2010

Another day, another article about glorious non-lawyering work for lawyers

Another day, another news article about how challenging and yet fun and rewarding it is to find a career outside the lawyer's traditional career path -- focusing on lawyers who found their non-traditional jobs after they'd spent some time on the traditional career path.

These articles are not helpful for those of us who recently graduated but who, though absolutely qualified, were never invited onto that path in the first place! I'm not sure how often I have to repeat that to career offices, professional magazines, and current and former lawyers who think they're trying to cheer me up.

Now, understand: I wouldn't want to be working in a law school career services office right now. There are no jobs. The big firms saw profits last year despite the economy because they laid off associates and drastically reduced their new-hire classes, and they're not going to turn around and do anything to reduce those profits now, like hiring more associates. I mean, if it were me, I'd put the firms on a rotating schedule and be on the phone daily with them, asking them how many of my graduates they will hire from me this year. But what do I know? I wasn't in academia, and I wasn't in big business, either. But I was an entrepreneur for ten years, and I know that if your business is to move product, you have to contact your customers on a regular basis and remind them that their job is to buy it.

No comments: