26 July 2009

Seen in Cumberland County

I went on a hiking/driving tour of Cumberland County, New Jersey, a few weekends ago. Though the little communities aren't even 50 miles from Philadelphia, the area is staggeringly rural: a lot of dirt farms, a lot of which look as though they're keeping in business by converting to organic practices, and preserved open spaces. Makes me want to chuck the idea of being a Philadelphia lawyer, sell everything, buy a truck and a plot of land, and go raise alpacas. Except they'd get awful hot in this climate. And who knows how much of Cumberland County will be left when the sea levels rise in 100 years? (Not that I'll be around to care.)

Late in the afternoon we ended up at a family-style seafood restaurant off the Cohansey River. On blocks in the marina's parking lot was a gutted, rotting Futuro House. I'm thinking I'd never seen one actually in person. Though it was weird to see it just sitting there, among a bunch of boats for sale on a tributary of the Delaware River, I guess it's the nature of Futuro Houses that there's so few of them left any more that it's only ever in a really weird, unexpected context when they turn up.

At another marina we stopped at, the home port of one of the boats in for repair was indicated as Phoenix, Arizona. Global warming may wipe out Cumberland County, but I somehow I don't think it'll make a navigable waterway from Phoenix to the Sea of Cortez.

No comments: