03 November 2008

Voter protection coordinating

Spending the day coordinating with my voter protection team. One is an attorney coming down from New York late tonight. The others are also attorneys from out of town. Unfortunately for them all, I've been named the team leader, I think because I'm the only one registered to vote in Philadelphia County.

The campaign moved my goalposts, so to speak, and changed my polling place assignment -- but only a couple of blocks. Now I'm at a "supersite," where more than one division's voters are directed to vote (division is Philadelphian for precinct). I've lived in places like that before, and I remember that sometimes the signs were not very clear, or were nonexistent. It can be disheartening to stand in line for half an hour or longer, only to find that you were in the wrong line and have to start all over again. So one of the challenges at this polling place tomorrow will be to make sure that people are in the correct line for their division, or that, if they do get in the wrong line, they don't have to start all over again. Probably a situation where an ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure.

I don't know how much I should expect in the way of voter suppression shenanigans. I think the difficulties will more likely be related to newly registered voters, or voters who haven't voted in donkey's years. Issues with dealing with crowds, determining who needs ID and what kind of ID will suffice, and helping people use these new-fangled (to them) voting machines.

Tonight I'll hit the grocery store and pick up some Tastykakes and other goodies for the election officials and other poll watchers. Tomorrow's going to be a long day.

You can still help. Give your friends or neighbors a lift to the polls, or help them find their polling place. It ain't over 'til it's over.

No comments: