20 October 2008

Session laws from the 1780s? Microfiche?

For purposes of a research paper I have to hie myself to the Jenkins Law Library this week and look up a state statute from the 1780s. At least I have the actual year (1784) and the state (South Carolina). I'd been concerned that I would have to look through 13 states' worth of statutes from 1776 to 1789.

I haven't used microfiche in 15 years, probably 20. I thought it was called "microfilm." And last time I did use it, I got motion sickness because the screen occupied my entire field of vision, like IMAX.

The conditions I have to endure in the name of scholarship!

2 comments:

K.O. Myers said...

According to the Wikipedia, Microfilm is stored on reels like, well, film, whereas Microfiche is stored on flat cards that look like that preview card you used to get when you developed a roll of film at the drugstore.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe it's taken me 20 years to learn the difference between microfilm and microfiche. Imagine how even more clueless I would be without Wikipedia!