29 October 2008

Intersection of election and law school

A couple of nights ago I dreamed that I'd forgotten to go vote.

I don't remember if I'd spent all day studying (yeah, right) or dicking around on the Internet (a far more likely scenario). But 8:00 p.m. rolled around, and lo and behold the polls were closed -- and I hadn't voted. I don't think the dream continued with the obvious conclusion that since I personally failed to vote my candidate lost. However, I distinctly remember knowing that I'd lost all my street cred with my wacky liberal friends and with my family. But at least I wasn't naked.

Similarly, some weeks ago I had the familiar "I didn't prepare for this exam" nightmare. Just like in high school, in the dream I hadn't attended the class all term, I hadn't prepared an outline, I hadn't studied, in fact I hadn't done any reading at all, and I think I hadn't even bought the casebook. Because I'm in law school, there were other twists: I hadn't picked up my anonymous student number under which to submit my exam answers. Also, I hadn't done the required "practice exam" with the exam software, because I hadn't installed the newest version of the software in the first place. I was sitting in the exam room with my computer open, about to take an exam in real estate law -- a course I never signed up for -- unprepared in just about any way a law student could possibly be unprepared.

But at least I wasn't naked.

No comments: