30 October 2008

"Give Barack a Day"

As part of my continuing effort to embody the extremist Christian right's worst nightmare -- I'm a radical feminist, atheist single mom putting myself through law school -- I'll be doing legal voter protection this Tuesday. I've been assigned to a polling place in West Philadelphia, in a neighborhood where the university students are urged not to try to find an apartment. I had considered bringing a bottle of champagne with me, as Mithras says he'll be taking to his assigned polling place, but my assignment is at a Methodist church.

Darn Methodists. Maybe I'll bring a bottle of that Martinelli's sparkling apple juice instead.

But my point, and I do have one, is that you don't have to be a lawyer, like Mithras (speaking of the extremist Christian right's worst nightmare), or a law student, like myself, to help get Senator Obama elected president. Anyone with a sturdy pair of shoes, a somewhat pleasant phone demeanor, or a sofabed can help. Please give Barack Obama a day of your time before or on Election Day, and let's make history. Obama is leading mightily in Pennsylvania polling right now, but that's an accurate prediction only if we get out the vote and monitor the polling places for shenanigans on Tuesday.

No comments: