02 September 2008

What to say to an unmarried pregnant minor woman

The following are polite, acceptable statements to a minor woman who you've just found out is pregnant:
  • Congratulations!
  • Best wishes for an easy labor.
  • Has your [insert name of close female relative or good friend] set a date for the baby shower?
  • I'm so glad you still have health insurance through your [insert name of parent]!
  • Do you have a copy of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn yet? It's totally better than What to Expect. Let it be my gift to you.
  • I've just subscribed you to hipMama magazine.
  • Does your high school have a daycare? You know you have a right to graduate with your class, right?
And that's about it. Unless you also want to quote Allison Crews (1982-2005):
Girls like me have raised presidents. We've raised messiahs and musicians, writers and settlers. Girls like me won't compromise, and we won't fail.

No comments: