21 July 2008

Monday art house: McLaren to Chiba Stearns

Sit back and admire this animation by Norman McLaren before someone at the NFB finds out and has it yanked from YouTube:



It came to my mind this morning when I ran across a neat hand-drawn animation by some guy named Jeff Chiba Stearns, done all on Post-Its. It's called "Yellow Sticky Notes" and addresses what's come between him and his artistic goals over the past seven years. Dig the 3-second "Merle" reference around 4:15 (but don't skip the rest of the film!):



It's so lovely to see McLaren's work continuing to influence animators 50 years (!) on. Most of the time I feel like a voice in the wilderness, boogie-doodling all by myself.

Now excuse me whilst I spend the rest of the day on YouTube watching stuff by McLaren, Len Lye, and Richard Reeves.

No comments: